Friday, January 9, 2009

A Tale of Two Companies

In a recent blog, I described problems with one highly advertised diabetic supply company which I did not name because my policy is to praise in public and criticize privately.

In contrast, today's blog describes the straightforward and appropriate response which I received from Liberty Medical Supply's COO. A refreshing no-nonsense letter, strikingly different from the other company's responses. And because of the difficulties I experienced, without hesitation Liberty offered (and I accepted) to provide me with Accu-Chek lancets, a clearly superior product.

Here is Liberty's Chief Operating Officer response to my letter criticising Liberty's "generic" lancets:

"Dear Dr. Kaplan,
Thank you for your thoughtful letter regarding Liberty and One Touch lancets. You bring up a valid point regarding the comfort levels provided by different lancets, and I wanted to reply to you personally.

"To give you some background, over the past six months, all Liberty lancets have been moved from 28 gauge to 30 gauge, compared to One Touch lancets, which are 25 gauge.

"For you, and all patients with diabetes, finding the least painful method of obtaining a blood sample is crucial. I am sorry that you were not pleased with Liberty's lancets.

"As of this date, Liberty's lancet manufacturer is complying with our instruction to install new molds, which should eliminate the plastic problem and the slight bend that can occur on the shaft when the plastic cap is twisted off. Also, the new needles have a tri-beveled and electro-polished finish to improve the discomfort of finger sticking. And finally, by May 2009, all Liberty lancets will be made on fully robotic systems that will significantly tighten tolerance levels and quality in lancet manufacturing.

"At Liberty, we understand the importance of lancets in managing diabetes and we are
constantly looking to improve upon the products we offer, Again, Dr. Kaplan, thank you for contacting us. If I can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me directly at 772-398-5822.

Sincerely,
Keith W. Jones
Chief Operatlng Officer
Liberty Medical Supply, Inc."

Liberty Medical

No comments: