Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Sort-Of Historical Speech

It was a textbook, "let's make a deal" speech, aimed at obtaining concensus on the principles which President Obama laid out, so  that later, the principles could be expanded to provide the real muscle and meaning behind the vague wording. For its purpose, it was well done. I found myself asking for more specifics, but having watched/listened to several of Obama's internet-based presentations, knew that I and other Americans stood no chance of getting specifics  tonight. It was not what I had hoped for in my blog of September 6, 2009.

Having spent a long afternoon today at a biomedical ethics meeting dealing with serious issues of life and death, I resented the failure of Obama to discuss anything other than the business of health reform.   I also found myself resentful of the Republicans, massed and unsmiling in their dark blue suits, unwilling to let their politics yield to human and national needs, and almost expecting someone among them to stand up to demand that Social Security be repealed.

In all,  it was  not a memorable night.  Perhaps there will be substance soon to come.

And don't forget  ethics.

No comments: