Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's My Lump

If you have read my recent blog about lumps, you may recall that I described a series of steps frequently followed by physicians (and other medical health care providers) to determine the cause of a patient's lump.
That blog wasn't just an academic discussion: for me it predicted what would soon be my reality.

Because of my years of medical experience caring for patients with malignancies, I had a disquieting impression that I had found a facial lymph node lump containing metastatic malignant melanoma which had spread from the lesion near  my brow which had been removed several months earlier.   My physicians went through the same steps as I described in my recent blog, including the biopsy and soon confirmed my impression.

The work-up is still in progress. When it has been completed, the next step will be sitting down with my physician and (individually) with the expert consultants who are, or will be, involved in my care to determine whether therapy which is likely to help is available.  I have had the good fortune to have good people who have offered various means of help and access to help. But the simple fact remains that I have an aggressive  metastatic malignant disease.

I will share some of my experience navigating Our Health System as I travel the melanoma pathway. But for now, my advice to readers is - use appropriate sunscreens and garments that prevent sunburn, avoid tanning beds, and locate a competent dermatologist in your area.  If you, or someone who knows you, finds a mole that has changed, see a physician promptly.

No comments: