Monday, June 13, 2011

Cancer Anyone?

I remember Frank, quite well.  He was the cadaver that I and three other medical students dissected in our first year anatomy class.  Frank reeked of formaldehyde, and I remember my allergic reaction to his fumes which required me to take an antihistamine so I could finish  my daily assignments and take my tests.  In those days, the most effective antihistamines were sedating, and it was a wonder that I ever passed any of the anatomy exams.

It turns out that my allergic reaction to Frank's preservative was the least of the problems.  Formaldehyde is now listed as a potent carcinogen.  To read more about formaldehyde and other carcinogens - which may have been or may be in your environment, read the 12th Report on Carcinogens.  It will provide plenty for you to think about.

No comments: