Tuesday, May 22, 2012

MD ANDERSON
Last week, I went to Houston, Texas where I was seen by highly skilled, involved, competent physicians associated with MD Anderson's Cancer Center. Neither my time, resources or energy were wasted as I (with my spouse and a son)  saw thoughtful knowledgeable consultant after consultant, visited the laboratory for highly refined tests not generally available elsewhere and the radiologic service for a scan which had not been done before but which was important for the consultant's planning of future health care treatment and procedures for me.

MD Anderson is incorporated in a health care neighborhood, hospital next to hospital, clinic next to clinic and facilities readily accessible to patients and their families.  Patients' and their families' needs are carefully considered as clinics, labs, imaging centers, food services, and even transportation and social services are made accessible and appropriate.  Although the building are on a large scale, it seems as if every effort has been made to consider the patient  - and patients' families -  in the focus.  The environment feels large, but the patient remains the attention point of the physicians, house staff trainees, nurses and staff who provide the important human element of care.

Not everything could be concluded during my actual presence at MD Anderson in Houston.  But I felt satisfied that major steps towards understanding the complex issues I present as a patient were made, that attention had been paid by skilled physicians and staff, and that I would receive an appropriate set of recommendations when they had discussed and considered my medical issues.  Was I  guaranteed a cure? No.  Did I feel that I received proper medical care and consideration in this early stage of my MD Anderson experience? Yes.  Based on my experience would I recommend the MD Anderson Melanoma Center? Yes.

No comments: